Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Locking In the Gains of 1H 2009

I sold all of my stock holdings this week since my instincts tell me the market has decided to take a breather. The major indexes were down more that one percent two days in a row recently. (although on tame volume) The market has had a nice run up since mid-March, it's about time for it to digest its gains.

Here's how I did in this period: Shanda Interactive (SNDA) +24%, Net Ease (NTES) +34%, Chanyou (CYOU) +72%. (you read that right, seventy-two percent)

I'm half tempted to dig into my savings, fire my employer, and strike out on my own to seek fame and fortune. But I've gained just enough maturity to realize this would be a reaction based on the hubris of my recent market success. That success is about five percent due to my brains, ten percent due to my bravery in the shadow of difficult economic times, and eighty-five percent due to the fact that a rising tide raises all boats. The key was to get into the market when I did and let it do the magic it does when it is in an upswing. The brains part was noticing that Asian gaming stocks were some of the darlings of the spring rally.

Hubris-avoidance aside, I'm enjoying my day job. I look forward to the process of developing the online game that my team is creating. I intend to achieve the kind of satisfaction that only comes from collaborating with others to accomplish a challenging goal. It is not without relevance that the salary I'm drawing will help me save up additional capital so that I'm better prepared for my eventual - inevitable - enterpreneurial siezure. (as Michael Gerber calls it in his famous "E-Myth" books

No comments: